Spent a little more time today trying to figure out how to make the gallery thing work. It’s weird, hoarding pictures seems like one of the most common things people do: snap a million pictures, scribble some notes on them to remember where they were taken, laugh about the most compromising ones with friends and make a couple of prints of some special ones for the dresser …
… yet there seems to be practically nothing decent out there to do this with.
Here is what I figure the deliverables for common photo hoarding should be:
- Easy to get pictures out of camera
- Easy to bulk caption pictures
- Easy to do the basic cleaning operations (rotate, crop, red-eye, white balance)
- Easy to organize pictures
- Easy to share pictures with everyone, ideally on the couch, yours or theirs
- Easy to embed them into other projects
- Easy to back up.
- Not subject to changes in web software version or at least in a data format that’s easy to bulk re-ingest somewhere else.
Photo-albums - you know, paper and stuff – can do 2,4, 5 and 8. Slides can’t actually do any of the above.
Digital age to the rescue … you’d think …
Facebook, the biggest photo sharing site out there, can do 1,2 and 5. Picasa can do 1-3, 5, and maybe 6 and 7. I haven’t looked at flickr but I suspect it’s going to be similar.
As for offerings that a normal person can install on an amazon or digital ocean instance … gallery/gallery 2 will do 1, 2, 4, and 5 but is a nightmare of bugs. WordPress can do 1 and 5, but unless you are Steve Jobs and don’t believe anyone needs folders it’s probably no good for more than about 5 pictures, not to mention that apparently the code changes so much between versions that it’s a FEATURE of the plugin system to collect user reports on what plugin works with what version.
Why is this so hard?!? And I am not talking about building lightboxes, which is hard but basic fuctionality.
So where am I at now?
- use picasa on the desktop to import / clean / caption
- upload to picasa / google groups
- pretend to organize by making up album names with weird characters in them
- link to picasa from other places, e.g. wordpress
- back up using google takeout as described here: http://picasageeks.com/2011/12/picasa-tip-archive-your-picasa-web-albums-with-takeout/ (untested)